As a businessman, educator and parent, I am committed to the proper use of precious tax dollars in our community colleges while providing a world class education.
Having worked as an executive at Oakley and Samsung, and served as Board Member for the South Orange County Economic Coalition I understand the need for a skilled workforce. I seek increased public private partnerships at our community colleges where our students learn relevant skills that translate to high paying quality jobs.
Earning my doctorate at UCLA and teaching at Cal State Fullerton have shown me the importance of specialized educational programs. We must continue our highly regarded Emeritus Institute for Seniors and expand support for our transitioning Veterans.
As Governing Board Member for Capistrano Unified, I successfully advocated for reducing property taxes, saving taxpayers $61.1 million by eliminating Mello-Roos assessments in Mission Viejo, Aliso Viejo and Rancho Santa Margarita, and refinancing bond obligations in San Clemente and Ladera Ranch, all while innovating and improving classroom instruction. The Orange County Business Council and Orange County Taxpayers Association recognized Capistrano Unified in part for these efforts.
Endorsed by educators across Orange County, I offer my skills and experiences to Irvine Valley College and Saddleback College. As a father of three young children, I am committed to fiscal responsibility and quality education.
Education is something that is very important to me. I choose to serve as Trustee for Capistrano Unified when my children were old enough to enroll in Kindergarten as I want them to have the best education possible.
I am proud of my accomplishments achieved during my two terms in office. These accomplishments include the following:
- Restored stability to Capistrano Unified and the focus on preparing our students for “College and Career”
- Restructure the Regional Occupational Program
- Eliminate classes no longer deemed economically beneficial (i.e., Floral Arrangement)
- Rebrand and relaunch the South Coast ROP to students to make aware of CTE programs
- Increase cooperation between Capistrano Unified, South Coast ROP and Saddleback College to improve articulation between programs
- Creation of the Mandarin Immersion Program where students graduate biliterate (not just bilingual) in English and Mandarin.
- Expansion of Spanish Immersion Program, where students become biliterate in English and Spanish.
- Reduced Mello-Roos property tax assessments by doing the following:
- Terminating two existing Mello Roos Districts
- Ending this year Mello Roos District 87-1 serving Mission Viejo and Aliso Viejo, saving the average household approximately $1,000 per year
- Bifurcated one Mello Roos District in the wake of the Lehman Brothers bankruptcy to reduce Mello Roos taxes by 60%
- Refinance five Mello Roos supported bond obligations to take advantage of lower interest rates
- Total savings to taxpayers in excess of $61.1 million
It is with these experiences and accomplishments, I offer myself to the South Orange County Community College District.
- Outstanding General Counsel of the Year (Orange County Business Journal - 2011)
- JD: UCLA School of Law
- MBA: UCLA Anderson School of Management
- AB: University of California, Berkeley
- Executive Vice President & General Counsel; Performance Designed Products LLC
- Adjunct Professor; Mihaylo College of Business & Economics at California State University Fullerton
Previous Volunteer Positions:
- South Coast Regional Occupational Program – President and Member
- Capistrano Unified/City of San Clemente Ad Hoc Committee – Member
- Capistrano Unified/City of Dana Point Ad Hoc Committee – Member
- Capistrano Unified/Ladera Ranch Civic Council Ad Hoc Committee – Member
- Beaches, Parks and Recreation Commission; City of San Clemente – Commissioner
- Community Engagement Panel; San Onofre Nuclear Generating Station – Member
- Spanish Village Foundation – Founder and Director
- Orange County Bar Association
- Finance Committee – Member
- Corporate Counsel Section – Chair and Vice Chair
- San Clemente Sunrise Rotary – Member
- San Clemente Historical Society – Member